Monday 17 February 2020

Review of Amanda Palmer: There will be no intermission. 2020 Adelaide Fringe.




I walked in blind, not knowing, not expecting anything. My partner and I had spent an hour wandering through the garden, admiring the sweet festival atmosphere and sipping espresso cocktails, relaxing for a rare evening without our children. Walking to the venue, I mis-read the banner outside the uni as Miskatonic University, and we chuckle at the thought of tentacles and cosmic horror at an Amanda Palmer show. It's often said that fans tend to look like the artist they admire, in a fashion sense, so in observing the variety in styles, ages and genders, it feels easy to say that Amanda Palmer is not an easy musician to define.

I could say cabaret, but that term feels so vague as to be meaningless.

I could say feminist piano punk, and...maybe that's saying something about her.

But that's just her music, and that is only a part of the story, for the performance is itself a story. So perhaps I should start at the beginning...

*

We like to dress up, my partner and I,

like birds, we preen,
she wears feathers in her hair
I wear one in my cap,
to walk and wander, wondering
at the sunset chimes of a festival
upon the streets.

The venue is an upturned boat, an arc, a magnificent wooden cave, an edifice of stone and timber that is place of worship, it is a lecture hall, a concert hall, a religious experience just to be inside; this is a church whose sanctity seems preserved in the magnitude of it's own beauty. It has a beauty that does not brag, yet is proud, is grand yet somehow homely. The crowd feel at home here on these wooden fold out chairs, staring up at the mist curling from the stage, the purple and blue mist curling as if directed by fate over the grand piano.

I sit very still and quiet amidst the noise and bustle.

Striding up the centre aisle from behind us, she strums her beloved ukulele and beams at all of us. It is easy to feel loved at a Palmer show, she exudes the philosophy of her life, which she will speak on at length and with great eloquence and passion. That philosophy includes Radical Compassion.

I walked in only half blind; I knew this was going to be a four hour show, and that it would be a mixture of talking and music. I did not expect her to tell a story, and I did not know what it would be about. I saw the information stall outside the venue, but I did not guess its importance.

Amanda came to tell us a story that she did not want to tell. It was the story of abortion. Her own experiences, and those of others. She talked about the value of telling the story, of opening herself up to people throughout the experience, and how every time she worried that speaking the truth might burden those she told, she found only the lifting of burdens, the lightening of hearts and the further opening, opening, opening of life around her. Open to the experience of everything and powerfully aware of her own powers and weaknesses.

When she sits and sings and plays the piano, Oh! I love the way she punches for effect, a sort of right cross into the lower octaves. I love her rhythms which build up from their catchy roots and come rushing into the the room as the story of each song survives the storms of its telling. I love her melodies, where a kind of bent classical waltz will reanimate itself into a playful nursery rhyme, or a tumbling wild animal stampede will find sudden yet graceful stillness in a heartbreaking cry from her heart filled voice.

Oh I love her voice. A voice that knows itself so well, inside the body of a woman who knows herself, who challenges herself, who shares herself, who travels back and forth from Hades to Heaven and sings a rhyming poetry, a skipping and lifting verse that makes a long story all the better for being long. She is so clever with language, with turns of phrase and the subtle ways that meaning continues to change in our common tongue. This command of language is an expression of both her wisdom and her wit, she is a storyteller of no small skill, parallel tales just falling out her her in a very smooth, totally comfortable manner. She talks to us like we are sitting together in a lounge room, and we, her very happy guests, sit happy in our silence, or happy to call out or laugh.

Her story is a hard one, and many times I wipe tears from my eyes. The two large bearded men in the row ahead of me also wipe their tears. It is allowed, it is expected, it is shared in the peculiar shadowed privacy of the crowd. She tells us that if the story ever gets too much for us, we can call out Amanda, I'm too sad!, and she would immediately pause and play the opening chords of her very popular and very funny song, Coin operated boy. She did this twice for us, and I for one, was grateful.

[On a personal note: I have a digression which it pleases me to tell, though it may distract from the flow of my story. The intermission reaching its end, Amanda once again entered the hall from behind us, this time on the left, strumming her cherished four stringed friend. As my partner and I were seated on that edge, Amanda saw the long brown pheasant feathers adorning my partner's hair. Amanda paused to say I like your head. To which my partner replied, Thank you, I like yours too. Now, back to the concert...]

She told us one particular story that I will try to relate.

Having written a song telling an abortion and date rape story, she had been criticised by the press for making light of the topic. Her critics claimed that the song was basically a rape joke. Amanda fussed and fretted, describing to us her early attempts to defend herself, but concluding that she felt she did not succeed. She could not find the right words at the time to explain herself. Later, she concluded, she found her answer.

It is her job to turn the dark into light.

She is an artist.

She wished that she had said to her critics: Let me do my job.

We get it. We're her crowd. We understand the black humour of this modern poet, this forward thinking woman of the new century. In so many ways she speaks for us, expressing our own experiences in a manner so compelling as to inspire a sense of personal attachment. Each of us feels lucky to be in her company, we feel invited into her, into the vulnerable parts of her own life which she narrates to us with the courage to make jokes about even the darkest aspects, yet she never stoops to disrespect, not towards herself, or others. Even her critics.

I cannot in good faith conclude my story, without telling you about the stage lighting.

It were as if lightning struck the stage to ignite her words.

...as if the smoke and shadows were her sorceress familiars

and she,
the summoner,
the conjurer,
wreathed in the magic
of light beams stark and calamitous
or
coloured blooms of liquid luminance
or the portending red glow of doom
leading to darkness

all at the touch of her hand

...the stage lighting at this show was exquisite, in its timing, in its execution, in its trickery and play and subtle moods shifting with the state of the story being told, or the song being sung. The lighting made the stage a location of enhanced reality, emphasising the presence of this grand speaker and her grand piano into a drama of powerful music, and transformative storytelling.

Amanda Palmer made light in the darkness.

I know of no other magic as powerful as this.

*

Review by Morgan Taubert.

Youtube: Zebulon Storyteller


No comments:

Post a Comment